11.23.2015

Sparkly Lights

I'm back for day 7 of the Holiday Style card class from Online Card Classes.


Day 7 focuses on Shimmer & Shine, so I pulled out some glitter embossing powder that I've had FOREVER to use on this card.


 I have to tell you, this northern lights technique is a lot harder to accomplish than I thought it would be.  I wasn't entirely happy with how mine came out either, but once I added the glitter embossing powder, I liked it a bit better.  Mostly, I didn't like how the colored parts look so straight and uniform across the background.  Anyway, the sky was done using Distress inks and sponge applicators for the colored portions.  Then, I was having trouble adding the black areas of the sky, so I ended up water coloring it using black Distress ink and water with a large paint brush.


Once I gave up on perfection, I set the panel aside to dry and worked on die cutting and coloring the other elements of my card.  The yeti and trees are from Lawn Fawn.  The camp fire is from Purple Onion Designs.  And I used an Avery Elle die to cut the snowy hills.  Everything was colored with Copic Markers, and some elements were popped up with foam tape.


The other thing I'm not totally thrilled with is how the glitter in this embossing powder completely hides the colored background if you turn it at an angle.  This is a holographic glitter so it appears to change colors as you turn it in the light.  So I guess it still has a bit of a northern lights feel about it no matter how you look at it, but I like the direct, head on view the best.

Overall, I still think it's a super adorable card, and it DEFINITELY has shimmer and shine!  But I think I'll need to practice my "northern lights" some more before I'll be happy with myself.

However, it's all about that little Yeti anyway, and he's the cutest little Yeti ever!  :)  Don't you think?

Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Groovy messages for Hippymom: